As I write this, I am stuck in a small town in Ohio after an accident on the freeway on my way home from a conference. (I hit a semi wheel that came off a truck and smashed my car’s suspension system. I’m fine but, sadly, my car is not.) Whether it’s a [...]
Back in October I wrote a post on GradHacker about using checklists in research and as promised, I’m updating you on how I’ve integrated them into my data collection. In January I began to collect data for my thesis (yay!) and had the goal of using checklists [...]
When asked how you’re doing on your academic work, does your heart race, adrenaline spike, or do you just go numb? If you answered, “yes” to any of these questions, you are in “triage” mode, just trying to stem the bleeding of your time and energy enough to complete your tasks and (hopefully) get a [...]
My brother and I have always dealt with relaxation in very different ways. We’re both graduate students, him in his second year, and me in my fifth year. When we visited my parents for breaks like Thanksgiving and the Winter holidays during undergrad, we had extremely different reactions to the free time. He read [...]
Have you ever been part of a similar conversation?
Colleague: Hey, I heard that you completed [insert task] (comps, proposal, thesis dissertation document)!
You: Yes, it feels great it out of the way!
Colleague: I bet. So now you just need to [insert next daunting task] (do your proposal, write your dissertation, find [...]
This year, I made a fortunately successful run on the academic job market, and I’m looking forward to beginning my tenure-track position in August.
Until now, I’ve resisted posting on those experiences. I have, however, commented on the job search more broadly. For instance, I’ve discussed the need for doctoral students to simultaneously prepare [...]
We’ve all been here: A deadline for a dissertation chapter, conference abstract, or presentation looms ever largely on the horizon. At first, work sessions proceed in a regular fashion. Progress is being made, and stress levels are low. Then, at some point, panic sets in because it seems like the task at hand can’t be completed–at least in the desired fashion. [...]
The end of the semester is a finite thing. It will happen. It comes every year right about the time most graduate students don’t think they can handle anymore work. I’ve always welcomed the end of the semester, and I’ve always lamented the end of the semester. If you think this attitude is, much [...]
Whether it be that you are agnostic about the holiday season or not, there really seems to be no escaping it. With campus closing down for next few weeks, the pressures build as we prepare for gift giving, traveling, and generally surviving the holidays. On Monday, Amy Rubens gave us some sage advice [...]
It’s that time of the semester: stress-inducing mid-term approaching time. It’s always about five to six weeks into the semester that I start getting frantic questions or queries from students about all sorts of things. I’ve learned to take the barrage of questions and concerns in stride. Many of my students seem to only [...]
- manelle on 7 Ways to Survive a Lit Review
- Shyane Siriwardena on The Perils of Perfectionism
- Perfectionism and Its Discontents | Mental Faculties on The Perils of Perfectionism
- Terry Hanisch on 3 Things You (Probably) Didn’t Know about Google Scholar
- Carlos Vega on percussion manley beats solo hd Jimmy the electrical on muskie Pin Up Wall Tampa Bays Social Networking Community! on Stoicism in Grad School
Tagsbootcamp Campus Resources classroom dynamic committee conferences copyright digital archive dissertation Dropbox evernote family fun Funding Google+ grading guest post Health ifttt inspiration job market leaving academia lit review meditation networking parenting productivity professionalism professionalization proposal recipe research semester break Social Networking stress students syllabus teaching thatcamp tools Twitter video winter work flow writing writing groups
- monashunilib: RT @GradHacker: Need an internet makeover? Today on #GradHacker @evalantsoght offers advice on optimizing your digital info streams: http://t.co/rf0998mu3y »
- SHoenle: RT @GradHacker: Need an internet makeover? Today on #GradHacker @evalantsoght offers advice on optimizing your digital info streams: http://t.co/rf0998mu3y »
- P_W_Holdsworth: RT @GradHacker: Need an internet makeover? Today on #GradHacker @evalantsoght offers advice on optimizing your digital info streams: http://t.co/rf0998mu3y »
- herbs0411: RT @GradHacker: Need an internet makeover? Today on #GradHacker @evalantsoght offers advice on optimizing your digital info streams: http://t.co/rf0998mu3y »
- View All