Back in October I wrote a post on GradHacker about using checklists in research and as promised, I’m updating you on how I’ve integrated them into my data collection. In January I began to collect data for my thesis (yay!) and had the goal of using checklists [...]
At the beginning of January I opened a word document and started to write my dissertation. I hadn’t collected a single participant and am probably a couple years away from defending my thesis. That being said, it felt good to start writing and here are seven reasons why you should be writing as soon as [...]
In the sticky, sweltering heat of late summer, I wrote a little post called “How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Dissertation,” which translated my writing struggles into a therapeutic list of writing tips. This post was written as I despairingly grappled with many of the negative emotions that can accompany slogging [...]
About a year ago a colleague recommended some free courses being offered at the university, one of which was Foundations of Project Management. I’d considered it, but felt I didn’t have time. A few months later, a commenter on my post about managing deadlines in grad school noted that my description for managing project deadlines [...]
In March I decided that I was going to read more. Despite a heavy workload, I figured there was still time in the day for reading besides journal article after journal article, so I made a goal to read 20 books this year. At the time this seemed impossible, but this week I finished [...]
Have you ever been part of a similar conversation?
Colleague: Hey, I heard that you completed [insert task] (comps, proposal, thesis dissertation document)!
You: Yes, it feels great it out of the way!
Colleague: I bet. So now you just need to [insert next daunting task] (do your proposal, write your dissertation, find [...]
I’m going to guess that many reading this column also have seen the “should one go to grad school” blog posts and perhaps even its variant, “should one to go grad school in the humanities.” In April, Inside Higher Ed linked to a similarly titled essay in The Hairpin, and also last month, GradHacker’s [...]
I’m about to write a 900 word blog post about guilt, and I feel guilty about it. Why?
Because I could be spending this time working on my dissertation.
In fact, this is how I feel about most things that aren’t my dissertation. I feel guilty when I’m hanging out with my friends, out to [...]
We’ve all been here: A deadline for a dissertation chapter, conference abstract, or presentation looms ever largely on the horizon. At first, work sessions proceed in a regular fashion. Progress is being made, and stress levels are low. Then, at some point, panic sets in because it seems like the task at hand can’t be completed–at least in the desired fashion. [...]
The hardest part about sitting down to write is the actual beginning of making the clackity sound on the keyboard. I can get myself in the chair. I can turn on my machine. I can cruise around on the Internet, and type up a blog post or two about being in graduate school. But [...]
- manelle on 7 Ways to Survive a Lit Review
- Shyane Siriwardena on The Perils of Perfectionism
- Perfectionism and Its Discontents | Mental Faculties on The Perils of Perfectionism
- Terry Hanisch on 3 Things You (Probably) Didn’t Know about Google Scholar
- Carlos Vega on percussion manley beats solo hd Jimmy the electrical on muskie Pin Up Wall Tampa Bays Social Networking Community! on Stoicism in Grad School
Tagsbootcamp Campus Resources classroom dynamic committee conferences copyright digital archive dissertation Dropbox evernote family fun Funding Google+ grading guest post Health ifttt inspiration job market leaving academia lit review meditation networking parenting productivity professionalism professionalization proposal recipe research semester break Social Networking stress students syllabus teaching thatcamp tools Twitter video winter work flow writing writing groups
- monashunilib: RT @GradHacker: Need an internet makeover? Today on #GradHacker @evalantsoght offers advice on optimizing your digital info streams: http://t.co/rf0998mu3y »
- SHoenle: RT @GradHacker: Need an internet makeover? Today on #GradHacker @evalantsoght offers advice on optimizing your digital info streams: http://t.co/rf0998mu3y »
- P_W_Holdsworth: RT @GradHacker: Need an internet makeover? Today on #GradHacker @evalantsoght offers advice on optimizing your digital info streams: http://t.co/rf0998mu3y »
- herbs0411: RT @GradHacker: Need an internet makeover? Today on #GradHacker @evalantsoght offers advice on optimizing your digital info streams: http://t.co/rf0998mu3y »
- View All