In a previous post, we explained you why cutting back on sleep is never a good idea in graduate school. Hopefully, you will take action and start protecting your sleeping schedule as your most important productivity-refreshing time of the day.
If all the stress of graduate school becomes too much, sleeping might become [...]
Just reread that title, and let the idea sink in: Depriving yourself of sleep is a terrible idea.
Yes, you have tons of work to do in graduate school. But cutting back on sleep is never ever a good solution. In fact, the opposite is true: healthy, sound sleep can be your key [...]
If you’re lucky enough to have a teaching assistantship, you know that summer classes can be an extremely rewarding experience. Here in mid-Michigan, the sunny summer weather puts everyone in a good mood, getting dressed means putting on a sundress or shorts, and the exodus of most students means ample parking [...]
In a perfect world, I would grow and raise my own food and cook every meal that I ate from scratch. I enjoy cooking because it’s so rewarding to eat something you made and that you know all the ingredients that go into it. But grad school has challenged my love of cooking in [...]
As I write this, I am stuck in a small town in Ohio after an accident on the freeway on my way home from a conference. (I hit a semi wheel that came off a truck and smashed my car’s suspension system. I’m fine but, sadly, my car is not.) Whether it’s a [...]
I’m really bad at chess. My little brother was always amazing at the game, and was somehow always a few steps in front of me. I’d snag one of his knights, and this would cause him to capture my queen and put me in check. I had always thought that the reason he was [...]
I can hardly believe it; after ten straight years in graduate school, I will be graduating. There were definitely times in my graduate career when I thought this day wouldn’t come, but it’s just a few short weeks away. Graduation is a special event that calls for a bit of preparation, including some things you [...]
Last week, I successfully defended my dissertation. (Yay!) It’s a huge milestone, and I am exhausted and happy and proud. But my degree isn’t quite finished yet. As much as I would like to just bask in good feelings and watch some cartoons, there are a number of tiny details to finish, from submitting the [...]
Does the following situation sound familiar to you?
Your supervisor gave you some papers to start exploring your topic. You start reading, excited to learn more about the subject. Then you start looking up all the references and continue reading from there. You follow a few journals in your field and print out all the [...]
- manelle on 7 Ways to Survive a Lit Review
- Shyane Siriwardena on The Perils of Perfectionism
- Perfectionism and Its Discontents | Mental Faculties on The Perils of Perfectionism
- Terry Hanisch on 3 Things You (Probably) Didn’t Know about Google Scholar
- Carlos Vega on percussion manley beats solo hd Jimmy the electrical on muskie Pin Up Wall Tampa Bays Social Networking Community! on Stoicism in Grad School
Tagsbootcamp Campus Resources classroom dynamic committee conferences copyright digital archive dissertation Dropbox evernote family fun Funding Google+ grading guest post Health ifttt inspiration job market leaving academia lit review meditation networking parenting productivity professionalism professionalization proposal recipe research semester break Social Networking stress students syllabus teaching thatcamp tools Twitter video winter work flow writing writing groups
- herbs0411: RT @GradHacker: Need an internet makeover? Today on #GradHacker @evalantsoght offers advice on optimizing your digital info streams: http://t.co/rf0998mu3y »
- bstapleton: RT @GradHacker: Need an internet makeover? Today on #GradHacker @evalantsoght offers advice on optimizing your digital info streams: http://t.co/rf0998mu3y »
- insidehighered: RT @GradHacker: Need an internet makeover? Today on #GradHacker @evalantsoght offers advice on optimizing your digital info streams: http://t.co/rf0998mu3y »
- GCCSO_Illinois: RT @GradHacker: Need an internet makeover? Today on #GradHacker @evalantsoght offers advice on optimizing your digital info streams: http://t.co/rf0998mu3y »
- View All