I am really bad at saying no.
When someone comes to me asking for a favor, or looking for help with a project, or needing a body for a committee, I always say yes. I have a hard time knowing what projects are worth my time, and I hate disappointing people. I want [...]
Just reread that title, and let the idea sink in: Depriving yourself of sleep is a terrible idea.
Yes, you have tons of work to do in graduate school. But cutting back on sleep is never ever a good solution. In fact, the opposite is true: healthy, sound sleep can be your key [...]
In a perfect world, I would grow and raise my own food and cook every meal that I ate from scratch. I enjoy cooking because it’s so rewarding to eat something you made and that you know all the ingredients that go into it. But grad school has challenged my love of cooking in [...]
As I write this, I am stuck in a small town in Ohio after an accident on the freeway on my way home from a conference. (I hit a semi wheel that came off a truck and smashed my car’s suspension system. I’m fine but, sadly, my car is not.) Whether it’s a [...]
Spring break looms and whether we’re fretting about baring a little skin after the long winter months or preparing to hunker down to get some work done, this time of year often prompts the desire to develop better habits. For some, the longer days and (slightly) warmer weather may motivate us to kickstart our [...]
Graduate school is a competitive, stressful and extremely demanding environment. We’re all continuously trying to live up to everybody’s expectations: our supervisors’ expectations, our perfectionism-induced expectations of ourselves, while trying to meet the demands of students, a family and friends.
To stay sane in this pressure cooker, it’s important to come back [...]
As of this post, we’re two weeks into January. By now you’ve come back to school and the serenity you felt while at home for the holidays may have vanished the minute you stepped back on campus. While it can be nice to get back to work, if you’re overly anxious or completely overwhelmed, you [...]
I don’t know about you, but when I come back to my work after the holiday break I get a serious case of the winter doldrums. Being in the throes of the Michigan winter, what I really want to do is snuggle up in some warm fleece and read murder-mysteries in between [...]
As grad students, we face numerous pressures – from academic deadlines to family commitments and maintaining our own health and well-being. However, as many have written before, we struggle to find a balance, tend to give up those things that are healthy but aren’t “productive” and even feel guilty when we take a little time [...]
- manelle on 7 Ways to Survive a Lit Review
- Shyane Siriwardena on The Perils of Perfectionism
- Perfectionism and Its Discontents | Mental Faculties on The Perils of Perfectionism
- Terry Hanisch on 3 Things You (Probably) Didn’t Know about Google Scholar
- Carlos Vega on percussion manley beats solo hd Jimmy the electrical on muskie Pin Up Wall Tampa Bays Social Networking Community! on Stoicism in Grad School
Tagsbootcamp Campus Resources classroom dynamic committee conferences copyright digital archive dissertation Dropbox evernote family fun Funding Google+ grading guest post Health ifttt inspiration job market leaving academia lit review meditation networking parenting productivity professionalism professionalization proposal recipe research semester break Social Networking stress students syllabus teaching thatcamp tools Twitter video winter work flow writing writing groups
- SeanLWhite: RT @GradHacker: Today at #GradHacker, @throughthe_veil gives tips for preparing for the job market #PhDChat http://t.co/hh8Cl9mR0u »
- bonesdonotlie: RT @GradHacker: Today at #GradHacker, @throughthe_veil gives tips for preparing for the job market #PhDChat http://t.co/TQycE7f1ho »
- jmadelman: Good ideas. RT @GradHacker: Today at #GradHacker, @throughthe_veil gives tips for preparing for job market #PhDChat http://t.co/Hdx5wuRM14 »
- insidehighered: RT @GradHacker: Today at #GradHacker, @throughthe_veil gives tips for preparing for the job market #PhDChat http://t.co/hh8Cl9mR0u »
- View All